In our new neighborhood, Rhubarb is everywhere. I am talking everywhere. It grows in our yard, in the park, at the local tennis courts, pretty much all over. So when I asked my little sous chef what to make with said rhubarb, she said MA-MA. Which I took as Summer Rhubarb Muffins with Brown Sugar Streusel.
I kind of LOVE muffins. And so does my kid.
Is it weird that I am starting to freak out about baby Poppy getting older? Oh no! My baby is growing up. She is still a tiny girly but even looking at her old onesies, she seems so big now. Before I know it, she is going to be a teenager, and then leaving the house! AHHHHH no!
I can see why people have lots of kids. So you can keep having adorable little babies at home. They are a lot of work, but I SOOO WORTH IT. I love babies. Maybe I just have major baby fever. Which is interesting because prior to having a baby I hadn’t spent much time with them.
Does that make me a selfish mom for not wanting my little baby to grow up? Probably. But for now I am going savor every last baby moment and feed my lovely babe tasty muffins.
We have been living on muffins this summer. They are so easy versatile and a fun way to use up left over veggies and fruit. From zucchini to carrots to pumpkin, bananas or blueberries, we have covered the gamut of muffins.
I love them for a work breakfast for the hubs, easy snack or breakfast for baby, and pretty much anytime for me. Sometimes I will even eat’em as dessert, you know to be a little healthier.
These muffins are simple with a burst of tart flavor from the rhubarb and then sweetness in the dough and streusel.
Summer Rhubarb Muffins with Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup (31 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (28 grams) white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon (13 grams) granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons (38 grams) light or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons (42 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) light or dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons (38 grams) granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons (71 grams) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to lukewarm
- 3/4 cup (177 ml) sour cream
- 1 cup (approx. 120 grams) white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour (see Note)
- 1/2 cup (63 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup diced rhubarb, in 1/2-inch pieces (from about 6 to 8 ounces of stalks)
Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter 12 muffin cups.
Make streusel: In a small dish, stir together flours, sugars, spices and salt. Stir in butter until crumbly. Set aside.
Make muffins: Whisk egg in the bottom of a large bowl with both sugars. Whisk in butter, then sour cream. In a separate bowl, mix together flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt and stir them into the sour cream mixture, mixing until just combined and still a bit lumpy. Fold in rhubarb and 1/3 (feel free to eyeball this) of the streusel mixture.
Divide batter among prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle each muffin with remaining streusel, then use a spoon to gently press the crumbs into the batter so that they adhere. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until tops are golden and a tester inserted into the center of muffins comes out clean. Rest muffins in pan on cooling rack for two minutes, then remove muffins from tin to cool them completely.