Happy Friyay Friends!
How are you?! It has been a while! Too long. How’s life? Have you been watching the Olympics, following politics, enjoying margaritas, traveling?
It has been a good summer. We moved. My baby turned one. Our house is really a home. Can’t complain.
Our home is comfy and I’m so happy with it. When we first moved in, I was constantly thinking of our list of repairs and things I wanted to change. So far we are only about 15% done with that list, and honestly I haven’t even noticed. It’s crazy how you get so comfortable living life that you forget about aesthetic things like pretty floors or pretty railings.
Honestly we are so happy with our home and neighborhood that the material stuff is not important. Yea we will change things slowly, but really they are not important. I’m more interested in making moments over material stuff.
Before meeting the hubs, I use to buy so much stuff that I didn’t need. Sometimes it was just something to do. Other times it was just a nice treat. And other times I think buying stuff made me feel cool.
Since meeting him, and especially since having baby Poppy, I have realized how much other stuff does not matter and how to be more frugal with our hard-earned money. I definitely owe some of this to him. The hubs is a simple guy who is smart with his money and thoughtful of material things. I admire that.
I still buy clothes, or things, but only when we need it. I do not need multiple of everything, nor does my kid. My mentality is “it is not about having less but about having more of what matters.” This is something I hope to share and instill in my baby girl someday.
As a mommy now I also am trying to introduce nature to baby Poppy. Going for runs, having picnics, going to the park, eating outside, smelling flowers, eating fresh veggies… these are all things we have done most of the summer. And as she becomes even more mobile, I am so pumped to continue exploring the great outdoors with her. I am extra excited for winter this year. I anticipate lots of snow play time!
Looking ahead, we have an upcoming family trip and I can’t wait! Hopefully the airplane ride goes smoother than last time (fingers crossed for no baby throw up this time). It will be good to get out and get a change of scenery. And this trip will even include a mini solo trip with the hubs! YAAAS! Long overdue! I just spent a good hour researching restaurants and making an itinerary! Can’t help myself.
Lately, I have been in full mama bear mode. A good friend had a second baby and I have been so excited to meet the little one and bring over food!!! (Baby was precious beyond words). That is honestly one of my favorite things to do. Feed people. If I could get paid for just making people home cooked meals, I would be so happy!
Now that the summer is starting to wind down, I feel like I need to refocus and set some goals for myself. Some simple changes that I want to work on and accomplish over the next few months.
- Continue to grow Sweet Poppy Seed. The site has made some huge leaps and bounds but I still have a lot to learn. Photography, recipe development, partnerships and fun family posts. This site is my second baby and I want to make a little more time to nurture it.
- Business opportunity. I have a few business ideas that I want to pursue. And now is the time to do it.
- More play dates and focus on development. With my busy growing kid, I want to continue socializing her, exposing her to different things, and challenging her mind with new activities. This will be good for baby and me!
- More time for hubs and I. We have had so many great family dates and outings this summer, but not too many solo dates. I want to focus a bit more on us. Conversations that do not involve the baby or the house, date nights, flirting fun and simply quality us-time.
- Me time. I have gone back to running a few days a week and this has been AMAZING! But I want to focus a little more on me. A little more self-care. My poor hair, face and skin have not gotten much love lately. So I hope to give myself a little extra love. Even if it is only once a week.
Is it odd that I am craving the fall already? So many things I am excited for. AHHH pumpkin everything! Not going to lie, I already made Pumpkin Oat Muffins this week and plan on recipe testing more pumpkin things soon! I can’t wait to dress baby up in her cute flannel and dress her for Halloween. Pumpkin patch photos! Late night bonfires cozied up with blankets and warm drinks. And walking through the neighborhood when the leaves are turning sipping my fav homemade pumpkin latte. MMM I can’t wait until Autumn.
But until the next season, I will enjoy the now. Savoring every moment of this memorable summer.
I read this and thought it was a great quote to share. Have a lovely weekend everyone.
“What if joy is my only metric for success?”
– Sarah Jones
(via Elizabeth Gilbert)
Links are some of my fav over the last months. Food fun and shenanigans.
- Hilarious view of food instagrammers. Totally guilty. #sorrynotsorry #ikeastillloveyou #touche
- Insanely adorable kid tees.
- Massimo does it again. If you do not know Massimo Bottura, do yourself a favor and watch the first episode of Chef’s Table.
- Total Chef crush.
- Totally making this before summer is over.
- My idol has a new flat. And it is dreamy.
- The definition of morning people. These guys make me feel so lazy for being up at 6am!
- Completely obsessed with this.
- Loving every moment of doing this.
Cover photo via.