Some weekends are just kind of magical. And times like this call for Stuffed French Toast. A decadent fun meal to enjoy with your kids or in bed with your hubby.
Do you ever just have weekend that is borderline perfect? I mean we have all had weekends that are pretty crummy. Where everything that can go wrong, does!
But every once in a while, a weekend rolls around that is freaken magical. Like the stars and Mother Nature align to create the perfect mix of perfect weather, fun activities and well-behaved children (that sleep through the night).
That was this past weekend for us.
We didn’t have any extravagant weekend plans. Just normal stuff. But everything was absolutely lovely. From the morning toddler wake up call, to the sunrise after my morning workout class, to bigger-than-your-face donuts, to a fun romantic stroll through the neighborhood, to a delicious Thai food Valentine’s Day date night.
It just all worked.
I cherish weekends like this. Especially at a time when it is so easy to get bogged down with errands and stress unimportant things, a carefree relaxed family weekend just enjoying our surroundings and each other is invaluable.
To top a blissful weekend, we made deliciously decadent Stuffed French Toast!
This is a breakfast that I first tried while dating the hubs. I had eaten tons of French toast but never “stuffed.” On one of our first Valentine’s weekends together, he made them for me and I was hooked. To him and the stuffed French toast ❤❤
For the hubs, this recipe brings back fond childhood memories of Valentine’s Day with his family. His family’s tradition was to make stuffed French toast on V-day. And I believe such a fun and belly pleasing tradition must be shared ☺️
- 8 thick slices of bread (Texas toast works great here!)
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk (whole, 2% or non-dairy options)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Maple syrup
- Powdered sugar
- 3/4 fresh strawberries, sliced
- Beat together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk until smooth and combined.
- Spread cream cheese mixture on the inside of 2 slices of bread. Arrange a layer of strawberries in the middle of the 2 cream cheese slices. Then press the 2 slices together to create a cream cheese and strawberry French toast sandwich. Prepare 3 other sandwiches.
- In a wide bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar and cinnamon until completely combined. Set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Melt 1 tablespoons of butter in the pan.
- Submerge sandwich in the egg mixture to thoroughly coat then place onto the hot pan.
- Repeat with a second sandwich. Cook until golden and crisp on each side, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Add another tablespoon of butter and cook last 2 sandwiches.
- To serve, dust stuffed French toast with a good dusting of powdered sugar, warm maple syrup and extra strawberries.
We love using Texas toast for this recipe but any thick sliced bread works. Brioche works especially great! Also try to leave the bread out to stale up the day before.