Sometimes to make a meal special, a fun drink is in order. And with kids it needs to be sans alcohol. Fresh Strawberry Lemonade is a winner at our house!
Drinks. Normally this word is exciting and the possibilities endless. Cocktails, beer, wine, bubbly… ahhhhh 🙌
BUUUUUTTT… I’m pregnant. Which means all of those adult drinks are off limits!
Most normal days, my beverages include water, water, water, tea, a little decaf coffee if I get a craving and water with a lemon slice. (Ok I had a cup of caffeinated coffee yesterday but don’t tell!) I used to drink fizzy waters like La Croix but the carbonation hurts my stomach now. Wah wah…so I’m back to water, water and water.
Obviously, I am in dire need of something different and exciting. Something fresh, satisfying, exciting, non-carbonated, and alcohol free!
As a kid, I remember that going out to eat at a restaurant was a big deal. Since we didn’t do it often, it was super special. What made it extra special was getting something other than water to drink. My go-to back then was house-made Strawberry Lemonade!
I remember the waiter would bring the drink out in a tall glass garnished with a lemon slice and beautiful strawberry slices. When the drink was placed in front of me, I felt so fancy! As if I was getting a super adulty fancy drink.
In all of the excitement, I would nurse my lemonade to make sure it lasted the whole meal. So naturally I think it’s time to bring this childhood favorite back. The perfect drink for an expecting mama, my busy toddler, and the hubs!
Plus it will go awesome with our burger dinner tonight!
Family friendly Fresh Strawberry Lemonade is on the menu tonight and boy will they make our dinner anything but boring!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh lemon juice (about 6 medium lemons)
- 4-5 cups cold water (based on preference)
- Extra strawberries, for garnish
- Lemon slice, for garnish
- In a small sauce pan, bring sugar and water to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Place strawberries into a food processor or blender and process/blend until smooth.
- Pour the lemon juice and ¾ cups of the sugar water into the pureed strawberries. Give it a quick blend.
- Pour the strawberry lemon mixture and cold water into a large pitcher.
- Taste the lemonade for your sweetness preference. If you want it sweeter, add the rest of the sugar.
- Stir well and add ice. Pour into fun glasses (and sippy cups) and top with chopped strawberries and a lemon slice.