Does anyone else get weird cravings for ice cream in the dead of winter? One of my favorites is healthy Almond Butter Banana Ice Cream with Coconut Flakes.
Almond Butter Banana Ice Cream that is actually healthy, Whole30 compliant and made with just 2 main ingredients!
Do I have your attention?
I hope so. Because this “ice cream” is the BOMB.
And yes I still use the word BOMB. BOOOOM!
Banana “ice cream” has been around for a little while now. It became a vegan, Pinterest sensation because:
- It’s so EASY!
- It’s delicious
- Its healthy
But just because it became this huge food fad doesn’t mean we should forget about it.
No I say let’s bring it back in 2017. Such a simple recipe consisting of blending frozen bananas should be praised, I think. I mean seriously there is no better quick after-dinner treat (even in the winter) then a creamy bowl of banana “ice cream” with lovely swirls of almond butter topped the crunch of toasted coconut flakes.
So whatever you do, don’t deny yourself the simple pleasure of this delicious treat!
Instead whip up a batch for you or others (if you are in a sharing mood), cozy up on the couch with a movie and a blanket… and ENJOY. Ahhhhh….
- 3 large, ripe bananas
- 1 tablespoon almond butter (or your favorite nut butter)
- ¼ vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Cut bananas into small chunks and freeze until solid (at least 2 hours).
- On a skillet over medium heat, toast coconut flakes, stirring frequently until lightly golden. About 2-3 minutes. Take off heat and pour into a bowl. Set aside.
- Blend bananas in a powerful bender for a few minutes. It will look like pebbles at first and then slowly turn creamy.
- Add the nut butter and vanilla. Pulse the blender quickly to stir the ingredients.
- Top with the toasted coconut flakes. And eat right away.
Ice cream can be stored in the freezer for a little while if necessary. This recipe is kid friendly, as long as your child can eat nut butters. Otherwise, simply blend the bananas.
Our favorite powerful blender for everything from smoothies to banana ice cream to soup is this one.
Recipe slightly adapted from TheKitchn.